Muthetheni county assembly ward is an electoral ward in Kenya. It is one of the wards in Mwala contituency in Machakos county.
Muthetheni County Assembly Ward
- County Assembly Ward No.: 0408
- County Assembly Ward Name: Muthetheni
- County Assembly Ward Population (Approx.): 22,805
- County Assembly Ward Area In Sq. Km (Approx.): 136.60
- County Assembly Ward Description: Comprises Kalyambeu, Ngamba, Kyawikyo, kikuluni, Kalamba, Utithini, nthaani, kang’ethe, Kionyweni and Kyethivo Sub–Locations of Machakos County
Overview of County Assemblies in Kenya
County Assembly in Kenya consists of members elected by voters of the wards – each ward being a single-member constituency – representatives of people with disabilities and the youth nominated by political parties depending on their strength in the assembly, and the Speaker, an ex-official member.
County Assemblies Consists of:
- Members elected by the registered voters of the wards in a general election.
- The number of special seats necessary to ensure that no more than two-thirds of the membership of the assembly are of the same gender.
- Members of marginalised groups, including persons with disabilities and the youth, as prescribed by an Act of Parliament.
- The Speaker, who is an ex officio member.
NB. The members in 2 and 3 are to be nominated by political parties in Kenya in proportion to the seats received in the election in a particular county.
Functions of County Assemblies
- Making laws for the effective performance of the county government.
- Exercising oversight over the county executive committee.
- Receiving and approving plans and policies for:
- managing and exploiting the county’s resources, and
- developing and managing the infrastructure and institutions.
Eligibility for Election to a County Assembly
One is eligible if he/she:
- Is registered as a voter.
- Satisfies educational, moral and ethical requirements prescribed by law.
- Is either:
- nominated by a political party; or
- an independent candidate supported by at least five hundred registered voters in the ward concerned.
A person is disqualified from being elected a member of a county assembly if the person:
- Is a State officer or other public officer.
- Has at any time within the past five years held office as a member of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission.
- Has not been a citizen of Kenya for at least ten years before the date of the election.
- Is of unsound mind.
- Has been declared bankrupt.
- Is serving a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months.
- Has been found in accordance with any law to have misused or abused a State or public office.