Theta county assembly ward is an electoral ward in Kenya. It is one of the wards in Juja constituency in Kiambu county.
Theta County Assembly Ward
- County Assembly Ward No.: 0560
- County Assembly Ward Name: Theta County Assembly Ward
- County Assembly Ward Population (Approx.): 23,134
- County Assembly Ward Area In Sq. Km (Approx.): 31.10
- County Assembly Ward Description: Comprises Theta Sub–Location of Kiambu County
Overview of County Assemblies in Kenya
County Assembly in Kenya consists of members elected by voters of the wards – each ward being a single-member constituency – representatives of people with disabilities and the youth nominated by political parties depending on their strength in the assembly, and the Speaker, an ex-official member.
County Assemblies Consists of:
- Members elected by the registered voters of the wards in a general election.
- The number of special seats necessary to ensure that no more than two-thirds of the membership of the assembly are of the same gender.
- Members of marginalised groups, including persons with disabilities and the youth, as prescribed by an Act of Parliament.
- The Speaker, who is an ex officio member.
NB. The members in 2 and 3 are to be nominated by political parties in Kenya in proportion to the seats received in the election in a particular county.
Functions of County Assemblies
- Making laws for the effective performance of the county government.
- Exercising oversight over the county executive committee.
- Receiving and approving plans and policies for:
- managing and exploiting the county’s resources, and
- developing and managing the infrastructure and institutions.
Eligibility for Election to a County Assembly
One is eligible if he/she:
- Is registered as a voter.
- Satisfies educational, moral and ethical requirements prescribed by law.
- Is either:
- nominated by a political party; or
- an independent candidate supported by at least five hundred registered voters in the ward concerned.
A person is disqualified from being elected a member of a county assembly if the person:
- Is a State officer or other public officer.
- Has at any time within the past five years held office as a member of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission.
- Has not been a citizen of Kenya for at least ten years before the date of the election.
- Is of unsound mind.
- Has been declared bankrupt.
- Is serving a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months.
- Has been found in accordance with any law to have misused or abused a State or public office.